Day 77: Priesthood of All Believers
One of the most neglected of concepts from the Protestant Reformation is that of "The Priesthood of All Believers."
- 1 Peter 2:5
- Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
- 1 Peter 2:9
- But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
- Revelation 1:6
- And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
- Revelation 5:10
- And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
The doctrine asserts that we don't have to go through a hierarchy to become a friend of God:
It also means that we all have responsibilities. Christianity is not a spectator sport. You don't get to sit in the stands.
- James 2:23
- And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
- Exodus 33:11
- And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.
- 2 Chronicles 20:7
- Art not thou our God, who didst drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel, and gavest it to the seed of Abraham thy friend for ever?
- Isaiah 41:8
- But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.
- John 15:14
- Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
- John 15:15
- Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
You need to become a coach.
The Priesthood of All Believers - R.J. Rushdoony - Journal of Christian Reconstruction
Universal priesthood (doctrine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is the priesthood of all believers biblical?
A Royal Priesthood in Christ | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org
Trading Places: The Priesthood of All Believers
Priesthood of Believers | First Things
SBC Position Statements - Priesthood of All Believers